Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Amazing Race...or fluke....!!!

My own Amazing Race took place this afternoon. Well....my morning started as normal as any day has been since I have been on this journey. I got up....had breakfast and went for a stroll in the city to upload my story and some pictures. It took time to upload everything because in this part of the world internet and everything else is via satelite. I could almost swear that anytime someone was doing an ATM withdrawal my internet connection would slow down.

I returned to the Hostel to pack my things...chit chat with the girl at the front desk in French. It was a pleasure to speak French for a change rather than struggling with my Spanish. Back down the road to walk around town before heading to the airport fo my flight back to Bariloche. I was advised to check my flight schedule to make sure the plane was on time...well it was not. It was already an hour late.

I took advantage of the delay to grab some lunch...ah the taste of an omelette with cheese, mushrooms, ham and a hot sauce. After lunch did some more walking around and went over to the bus stop to grab a ride to the airport. Well...I was mixed up as it was closed or something like that. So 2 other people showed up and joined in on the failed attempt to take a bus. They indicated they knew where the taxi stand was. Over I went and spoke to a yound guy and he indicated that it would be 5 to 7 minutes before a taxi would be there. The guy finally showed up...I negotiated a price for the ride to the airport and off we went. Gee...I thought I was a fast driver....as we headed to the airport i was thinking how in the Amazing Race show they have to find ways to getting to there destinations in a given time.

I arrive to the famous small airport at least 90 minutes before departure time. Well... I was shocked to see a long line that was crawling slower than melting ice glaciers...how lnog is this line anyways???...after about 10 mins I begin to wonder if we are all taking the same plane, same line etc. This airport is so small you have huge planes parked next to this little out house doing check ins....departure tax and pre boarding inspections...what a mess. The 2 guys ahead of me ask me if I understood English and one of them explains that he just heard that if I am taking the plane for Bariloche I should move to the Executive class check in location so that everyone heading to Bariloche will make the flight. So I thank them and head over to that desk...she does not have the right reservation information...wrong day for my return...computers dont lie...she says she has to put me on stand-by..WHAT!!!....dont worry all process ...I get on plan_e...WAIT!!! over tdhere please!!!...WAIT!!!...OK!!!... I h_elp you!!! pluese come over I got seat....so I take the boarding pass and head over to the departure tav place and pay...go through scan....go upstairs to board plane....Oh...oh...2E...holly shit... I got first class seat.

Would you like welcom drink sir??? yes and I glance over to the nest seat and I see a fimilar face....a British actor...I dont recall his name but will get it later.

Wow... my own amazing race and what a fluke...to be in first class and drinking red wine.....and they have real stell cutlery here in 1st class.

I am in my own foreign movie....

LIFE IS SIMPLE, we just make it easier......!!!




El Calafate

Arrival in El Calafate was pretty simple and easy flight. The plane was full and the cramped airport made it interesting to get your bagage. I overheard 2 people waiting for their bagage so I kicked up a conversation with them and next thing we did was take a taxi into town. I made plans with them to meet up later that evening. They were the Lauras....yes 2 of them travelling together from New York city. Get this one of them a project manager...gee why do I keep meeting those PMs anyway....???


As I wanted to see the glaciers and walk on them for a day I made my own plans to take an 8 hour trek on the glaciers.

When I met up with the Lauras later in the evening they had made the same decision and next day we were going to be on the same trek.

What can I say.....just look at the pictures. I have also captured some videos on my camera and will try to find a way to uplaod them to this blog later.

ENJOY THE PICTURES..............


they are....70 meters high.....and continue up to 120 meters in the water



a balcony off to the left of them.....interesting point about this place is under compression from the upper and lower lake....at times you can see some spectacular ice explosions and falling off into the water.


the Lauras.....nice friends that made this trip interesting


the boat over to the trek the glaciers....the ride over took about 20 minutes and we got within 30 meters from the glaciers.


Amazing........


I am on the side of the river looking at them


and yes the glaciers, deep and unbeleivable, I tastrd the water from the glaciers ......look at those new boots


....here we are.......

2 comments:

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Absolutely Freaking Amazing!!!! I am stupified. Those glaciers are stunning. I would love to do this someday. I'm adding it to my bucket list.

Oz said...

Great pictures! Just found your blog - like it.