Saturday, March 17, 2007

Surprise...surprise.....SURPRISE!!!

Bariloche was fun and quick. I left there on Wednesday and headed for San Martin de los Andes. I followed the famous Seven Lakes route. It is considered one of the most beuatiful route to take out of Bariloche heading north. The route was as it was describe....up and down along some interesting mountain views and beautiful lakes with those majestic mountains in the background. If you ever have travelled from Calgary to Jasper you know what I mean. Lots of great views. As I wounded down the road towards the end of routre until it turned right onto ruta 40 to head towards San Martin...my first surprise the road was under construction for 30 klms. This road was something else narrow and really under construction and I mean one car laneways to get through. Finally arriving to what was suppose to be the town of the lakes it just seemed to pop up out of no where. This city is known for the fancy boutiques and is the headend for anyone going hiking, biking and fishing. Well they were right. Small boutiques lines the main street here and if I saw one mountain shop I saw 30 mountain shops selling the same thing. Oh well....I am glad i am not here for the shopping.

I took off and went to go find my gofl course that Jack Nicklaus built down here. It was 20 klms out of town on the side of a hill. Arriving at the gatted community I could tell there was money in this little town. Most of the house I saw were going for $500.000 US. I slowly drove up to the club house....very modest clubhouse....walk in and I saw hardwood floors all over the place and the famous sign as you walked in .....no golf shoes please.

I headed to the pro shop and i ask the guy if i could play a round that afternoon. He said sure no problem. He said wait and someone would help me with the club etc. This women showed up and as soon as she saw me she said Canadian eh!...Oh my god to my surprise she was from Vancouver....go figure...another Canadian in Argentina.

It was a typical Jack N course. Nice layout but still rough on the sides and especially between holes with the cart path like a jungle. I played with 2 locals....Enrique and Oswaldo. It was a fun day hearing them talked in Spanish....like...good shot......sit......birdie.....par......oh shit i am in the bunker.....yes all in spanish....of course i had them tell me what those words were.....and by the way.....Oswaldo could speak a bit of English. I shot a high score of 92.

In the evening a very quiet town compared to Bariloche. As i walked the streets to find a place to eat I realized there was less and less people walking around. I finally found a greeat little place at the end of the main street for beer and pizza.

Nest day i headed out of San Martin towards Bahi Blanco. THe road out of town was better this times but the climbing up and down some of theose mountains were quite interesting. All along the way I would get lost looking out in a distance to see mountain getting closer. At one point i loss track of what i was doing and when i lifted my head.....hoy shit....SURPRISE SURPRISE.....there were sheap in the middle of the road. SO I hit the brakes of the side of the road and than back on the road and no one got hurt other than my nerves.

I made it to Bahi Blanco....a sleepy little city in the middle of no where but it use to be a military strong hold in the days.

Next morning i made it to a little town on the beach side called Pinamar.....more on that later.

No comments: