Saturday, March 10, 2007

Mendoza....Wine, wine, wine....oh gee did I say wine....I am a wimo

Well I did spent 3 days there. Yes...I did say I would try to enjoy the wine in Mendoza and those from Argentina.

After arriving my first day...settling in in my hostel(more on that later)....I was told I looked like I was lost....that is what the general manager said. I did look like it so of course I ordered a beer, and by the way it was 16h00, and for me it was my time for the beer. Okay what the hell am I doing having a beer in Mendoza....well I needed after the drive from Parana. Nothing much happened on the drive this time.

I got some recommendations from the genaral manager about where I should go eat for this first evening in Mendoza. So off I went... next day I was told about a few wineries I should go visit. So off I go...and it got a bit confusing at the place I was going to see they did not have my name on the list at this private winery. It only openned 2 years ago. The explanation of the wine and was given a chance to taste the recent production of wine. Now I have a better undertstading of what wine is all about.

While visiting this first winery, I met 2 American couples whitch one invited me to join them on their tour to the next winery. The next winery was that of Carmelo Patti an independant who is doing all his own business, promoting, selling and bottling wine. A nice place but totally different in terms of botteling and promoting his wine. One thing in particular about his place is he gets you to taste the wine out of the barrel.

After visiting those places....back at the hostel...the GM handed me a free wine tasting at a place called the Wines http://www.vinesofmendoza.com/help/contact_us.html . Off I go...arriving there and after beingexplained what I was about to experience... 5 different wines and with one hidden wine that they would select from their reserve. I ended up trying the Malbeck wines from Mendoza. They were all excellent and some are available in Canada but not all. I will be preparing an update at some point with the wines I tasted and their names.

Well a bit later I was introduced to the Operating Manager of the facility and I was invited to join some people heading out for dinner.

I spent next day enjoying a bit of the city and and since I was invited to enjoy another evening of tasting wines this time it was sparkling wines.

I am no expert on whine....or gee should I say wine...I did drink some wine.....I enjoyed some wine....and yes I did drink some wine.....did I already say that.....oh well no expert yet.....but I can suggest.....

No comments: